Our neighbors in Old North Dayton, Trotwood, and the surrounding areas need our help:
- DONATE — Please give generously to our Diakonia fund, which is supporting four local organizations that are helping our neighbors impacted by the tornadoes on Memorial Day: St. Vincent de Paul, Catholic Social Services, House of Bread and Elizabeth’s New Life Center. Click Here to Give Today A St. Vincent Truck Coming to St. Charles June 22-23! Your donations are needed. St. Vincent de Paul will be providing a large semi-trailer, which will be staffed by volunteers between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. each day. In addition to regularly donated household items and clothing, there is an URGENT, immediate need for the following items: Protein items (canned chicken, canned tuna, canned salmon, peanut butter); Furniture (beds, love seats, couches, tables, chairs… If you cannot load them onto the trailer this weekend, please call 937-222-5555 option 21 to schedule a pickup, which may occur in several weeks given the crisis response); Books (softback, hardback, children’s teen, fiction, nonfiction… Book sales defray the cost of St. Vincent’s free services and ministries, thereby providing a more robust disaster response.)
- VOLUNTEER — We will continue to update our website and social media with opportunities to volunteer in the storm recovery efforts. Here are some immediate options:
- First Baptist Church at 3939 Swigart Road in Sugarcreek is the closest Red Cross Shelter to Kettering and they are welcoming many who lost everything and need shelter. Their shelter is full. The individuals and families who are arriving at their shelter have varying needs and at this time First Baptist is collecting gift cards to places like Lowe’s and Home Depot to assist those in the shelter with clean up & repairing their homes. You can take donations directly to the church and volunteers will be on hand to direct you.
- Volunteer Reception Center: A Montgomery County volunteer reception center is now open at Sinclair Community College, building 20. Volunteers register and will be matched to organizations with specific volunteer needs. Open 7 days a week, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Phone: 937-512-5700. *Please bring a photo ID. All types of assistance are needed. Licensed professionals in skilled trades, medical, veterinary fields as well as individuals and companies that own and operate equipment (chainsaws, heavy equipment, etc.) are very much needed and encouraged to volunteer their time.
- St. Vincent de Paul: Receiving and sorting donations. Monday-Friday, warehouse location on Edwin C. Moses Boulevard. CLICK HERE to sign up. If you would like to join a group of volunteers from St. Charles Borromeo specifically, sign up for Thursday afternoons from noon-3 p.m. Weekends and some weekdays, Apple Street Donation Dock. CLICK HERE to sign up.
- Community Blood Center: Blood donors are needed, especially type O or B-. Visit the Dayton Community Blood Center downtown or go to www.DonorTime.com to schedule a time to give the gift of life.
- Red Cross: Immediate volunteers are needed. Click Here, then follow the link under Disaster Volunteers Needed.
We can all make a difference. Thank you!